Monday 25 November 2013

Context of Practice essay plan

Context of Practice essay plan

The question I will chose to do my essay on is "Choosing a particular period from 1800 to the present in what ways has art or design responded to the changing social and cultural forces of that period?" 

I will chose 2 specific examples related to this question, these will be of interest to me. So what I am interested in looking into at the moment would be the links between fashion an its ties with urban culture at present. The second point I will be looking at is how the cultural influences of 80/90s street wear/sportswear has been re-modernized for a new generation. Within the sector of urban culture I will look into subcultures, like how skating, hip-hop, graffiti and essences of urban landscaping all support this 'urban' culture that is so popular to date.

It would be interesting to look into the way in which advertising has changed throughout this period and how fashion based advertisements are aimed at there target audience both back in the 80/90s and now. 

Looking into artistic and design based 'trends' and comparing them to the trends of todays design industry would be good, if I could link these trends with the fashion trends somehow that would also strengthen my essay.

I feel the social circles within the music industry has done a full circle too along with this recycling of urban fashion culture, I feel theres always been a strong link between fashion and music so looking into design in the music industry back then and comparing it to now would be good to inform my body of work. 

I will read into Naomi Klein NO LOGO book to form my own opinions on her writings on 'the marketing of cool'. A movement of campaigns with companies like Nike and how they used black youths of american districts to subconsciously market there clothing lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment