Friday 15 November 2013

OUGD403 Evaluation

OUGD403 Evaluation

This brief was a good way for me to explore lots of different methods of working in a variety of set briefs. I learnt techniques in: 

Hand rendering typefaces based on manipulating a typeface inspired by a given word and partner characteristics. 
Creating a typeface in illustrator teaching me basics of the vector program adobe illustrator. Teaching me basic grid formats and introduced me to the digital print resource. This was informed by my first brief. 
Basic research techniques in primary and secondary formats used to inform visual responses on a news report. 
Basic poster design using basic colour theory and experimenting in layout techniques to create a high impact concept which worked in a sequence or a campaign of posters to present an idea or message.

Feedback was a key thing to my progress in this module, receiving positive feedback helped strengthen idea concepts and confidence to further develop ideas into stronger final outcomes. On the other hand the negative feedback helped me change weak ideas and visuals into stronger outcomes or helped me change the idea completely  

Overall I found the module interesting and challenging, the briefs I performed on well were the Illustrator typeface brief, I was extremely happy with the final outcome and send the design to a typography group on Instagram and it received 100's of positive comments. The poster brief I received positive feedback too especially on my image only, it was interesting to create an outcome that had no text to back up the concept. It was a new thing for me as I was used to using text in designs to communicate a message but the outcome held a strong message that was instantly understood. 

Elements I didn't enjoy as much or felt my outcomes could improve was the partner brief. I felt that with more idea development and inspiration from other sources I could have created a more consistent series of letterforms. Feedback was good but now i look back on it i see flaws.

To improve on my outcomes next time i will gather more research in terms of concept and visual inspiration, develop ideas a lot more and not be so lateral in terms of concepts. Step out of the box a little more and take more risks to create stronger outcomes. Better time management and pre-planning of a project will allow me to spend equal amounts of time on sections of the project instead of last minute rushing about on certain parts.

But overall I enjoyed the module and felt like I have learnt a lot, especially in terms of concepts that inspire my visuals. It was intense but it has prepared me for upcoming projects and readied me for the workload ahead and taught me to be more organised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment